Today I’m sporting my very cool Deliciously Ella coconuts t shirt. This gave me the inspiration to write you lovely lot a post about why I think (and know!) coconut oil is awesome. Here are just 10 reasons, but there are hundreds more!
- Coconut oil is great to cook with. It has a very high boiling point and high smoke point so you can fry all your favourite foods in it. I fry my two-ingredient pancakes in it (blog post about that coming soon!) and also add it to many of my favourite vegetarian dishes like chilli con carne!
- It is brilliant for conditioning your hair. If your hair is dry and brittle, or just needs a boost, add coconut oil from the roots to tips and leave it on for as long as you can. Make sure you wash the oil out carefully and thoroughly, condition your hair and you will definitely see a difference.
- Coconut oil is a fantastic moisturiser. Rub it into dry patches on your face or body and let the natural oils do their work. You’ll also smell lovely too!
- Replace all your butters and margarines with it. It is a lot more concentrated than most butters, so you need less of it. Putting it on your grainy toast in the mornings is a wonderful start to the day.
- Boost the nutrients in your smoothies. Add a tablespoon or so to your fruit smoothies each time for a boost to cholesterol fighting compounds, plus a delicious flavour. Recipes coming soon.
- It is a great, general, all-round beauty product. Use it as a mouthwash to help whiten teeth. Rub it into your nail cuticles to soften them and protect them from bacteria. Remove even waterproof eye make up with it by putting a small amount onto a cotton pad and rubbing the eyes gently. Reduce wrinkles by adding a small dab to problem areas. The list goes on!
- Coconut oil is fantastic in the bath. The aroma relaxes you and will leave your skin feeling very soft when you get out.
- Did you know you can also use coconut oil as a deodorant? Just rub some under your armpits after washing and let it do its natural thing to keep odours at bay.
- Coconut oil is a natural energy booster which will wake you up if you need a mid afternoon pick up, or after a workout. If combined with chia seeds, you’ll be feeling refreshed in no time. Mix a tablespoon of coconut oil with a tablespoon of chia seeds and eat them straight from the spoon.
- It’s an amazing popcorn coating. Pop organic corn in coconut oil and then drizzle with just a touch more melted coconut oil and some sea salt. Yummy!
There are many brands of coconut oil to buy, and they seem a little expensive at first. However, you don’t need much each time you cook as it is so concentrated and a little goes a long way. My favourite brand of oil is Lucy Bee Organic Coconut Oil which you can buy in Sainsbury’s, Booths and other independent health shops. Or go to Amazon and you’ll find many different options there. Lucy’s oil is fairtrade and organic so it is extra fantastic.